Monday, May 2, 2011

Work is over-rated, eat weeds!!

     So here it is, for the longest time I've been looking for a comprehensive course dealing with wild foraging on the first coast.  And sure enough, just when I'd about given up, I discovered Green Deane's website, eattheweeds.com. I cant believe I didn't find this sooner.
     Here on the urban homestead we've always attempted to be as self sufficient as possible, producing as much eggs, milk, and vegetables as we can.  Ultimately though, no one can meet all their nutritional needs on a fraction of an acre.  Thats where wild foraging comes in.  All around us, in overgrown lawns and empty lots, are thousands of edible, highly nutritious plants, all ripe for the taking.  In light of rising food prices, I can't imagine a more urgent skill set to acquire.  Our post-peak world is about to get a whole lot smaller, and if we hope to adapt, we need an intimate knowledge of our local ecosystem.  On my own tiny lot are three giant oak trees, making copious amounts of acorns, which were a staple part of native americans' diet.  Within a few blocks of my house i've noticed plenty of wild edibles (especially mulberries, and pecans, which are abundant here), but after looking through Deane's archive I realize i've barely scratched the surface.  It never occurred to me that camphor, which also grows in my front yard, is also edible (at least the young tender leaves are, older leaves can be used as a spice).  Be sure to read his entry on Moringa, one of the most astounding plants I know of.  I've planted them throughout my backyard as hedges, and am convinced it is one of the most important subsistence crops there is.
     I highly recommend everyone sign up for Deane's next class, on Sunday May 8th at FSCJ South Campus.  Class sizes are limited, so call ahead and reserve a spot.  I'll see you there!
-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment